f1 world September 25, 2019

F1 Rumors: Ferrari line-up SHOCK replacement for Vettel 2020 season

F1 Rumors: Ferrari line-up SHOCK replacement for Vettel 2020 season

 

SEBASTIAN VETTEL is reportedly considering retiring at the end of the season and Ferrari are looking at a shock replacement. According to Spanish newspaper Marca, Ferrari are keen to bring back a former hero.

 

Vettel has failed to end the Italian team’s 12-year Championship drought since joining from Red Bull in 2015.

 

The German has struggled to put sufficient pressure on Lewis Hamilton, who is on track for his sixth world title this year.

 

 

Chances are that if you merely happened to write in the phrase “Alonso to replace Vettel” in your search box then probably, you’d be gobsmacked by hundreds of news items that are actually pointing in that direction.

 

Silly or sudden that this may sound but it is what everyone is talking about. So why is the news of former double world champion Fernando Alonso, who’s rumored to replace Vettel for the next season doing the rounds? Some thoughts.

 

The way the 2019 Formula 1 season is going, it appears that renaming it as the Mercedes Grand Prix season may not be a bad idea after all. The way the season has panned out thus far with all six races going down Silver Arrows’s way it can be said that Ferrari have failed and utterly so.

 

This is both surprising and sad, particularly if you happen to be a Ferrari fan.

 

Fernando Alonso claimed he would only return if he was given a great chance

 

Alonso sensationally quit F1 at the end of last season to turn his attention to motorsport’s Triple Crown.

 

The two-time F1 world champion has already won the Monaco Grand Prix and 24 Hours of Le Mans.

 

He only needed to add the Indy 500 trophy to his illustrious collection.

 

But he failed to qualify for the event with McLaren which has left his year in tatters.

 

The 37-year-old recently claimed he would only return if he was given a great chance:

 

 “As I said last year, and in Barcelona [testing] as well, my idea is not to come back,” he said.

 

“When I said ‘bye-bye’ last year it was because I felt this chapter was already complete."

 

“I achieved a lot more in F1 than I dreamed of and I had great opportunities outside F1 to do something unprecedented. That’s why I took the decision."

 

“So coming back is not in the plan. If something happened and a great opportunity arrives, I probably will consider [it]. I don’t close doors 100 per cent to anything in the future.”

 

Fernando Alonso

BACK TO TOP

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By closing this box and continuing, you accept our use of cookies.